Monday, March 17, 2008

Lot 59

My parents really like white wines it seems. They are down with whitey. I will more than happily oblige as long as it accompanies a late lunch early dinner, it feels weird drinking white wine unless the sun is still up. They enjoy the reds I open for dinner but they were real enthusiastic with the two whites I opened the last few weeks. As long as they are drinking. I'm constantly trying to instill a daily wine drinking lifestyle with them. Like that of the Italians, Spaniards and the Frenchies who seem to live at a slower pace, not affected by outside influences. That's the life. 


Cameron Hughes Lot 59 Russian River Valley Chardonnay, its really good. Priced at $10.99 at your neighborhood Costco. It smells good right out the bottle and tasted oh so crisp. Lightly acidic and slightly buttery. I can't speak of pineapple notes or essence of other tropical fruits but I will say it isn't very oaky which might be a good thing. I found that once the wine warmed up a bit and got some air, it tasted a whole lot better. I know Neel isn't down with decanting white wines but I would let it warm up a tad after you take it out the fridge and give it some air. I don't think you can taste the wine if it's too cold unless it's wine ice cream. 

My experience with white wines isn't all that extensive but I'd say this is a keeper. It's hard to find good white wines under $20 and this priced at $10.99 looks like a winner.

No comments: