Tuesday, April 1, 2008

2006 Henry's Drive Pillar Box Red

*edit* (This wine is even better the second night, that is after you twist the cap tightly back on!!! My parents were not too keen on this the first night as it was way too alcoholic but on the second night it smoothed out considerably and is pretty damn good. $7.99 peoples! Get at this! Also, there's a lot of sediment too)


Do not let the twist cap fool you, priced at $7.99, I am not mad at this at all. Out of Australia, this is a mainly shiraz blend which is the Australian equivalent to syrah. Priced nicely and easily found at Costco, my only complaint is the crazy 15% alcohol, it's pretty prevalent when you open it up, practically hot and bitter but does mellow out a bit after letting it sit for an hour or so. Once it does, it gets fruity, smooth and pretty deep and dark. I don't know what I mean when I say deep and dark but you'll figure it out when you try it. Not bold but deep, it may be the 15% talking which might explain the slight bite, but drinks freaking good. The longer I take to drink this, the better it seems to be getting, then again it may be the 15% alcohol. For under $10, this is a winner, a better value than the Blackstone Merlot even. Too bad it doesn't have a cork but don't let that dissuade you from trying it. Really. 

No comments: